Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Bitchin' ingredient: Ferulic Acid


Ferulic acid is an extract from the simple fern and there's been a FASCINATING study published about it recently.

It is your skin's best friend let me say.
One day while randomly surfing blogs, there was a great post about this study so I went to investigate.
The published study here.

The gist is that adding Ferulic acid to a concentration of vitamin C and E stabilizes the ingredients long enough so they can actually have a visible and measurable antioxidant effect on the skin (much simpler and faster than doing vitamin C powder masks, no?). The study is very convincing and makes sense. Everyone knows that C and E are great for skin, but many don't realize how quickly they degrade and the fact that after they have degraded, they no longer have any effect on the skin.

More...
Now I had remembered an inkling that a few of my fellow beauty bloggers were in love with a certain Skinceuticals serum, and I remembered something about Ferulic. So I went a-searchin' and YES they do have a serum concentrate that is C and E enriched with ferulic. It's actually been around for a while and has a devoted glowing following (hmmm, maybe they had a hand in the study?). I did hop around and looked at other brands to see if they carry something similar (maybe something UNDER 100 big ones, I'm happy to spend on quality skincare, but believe you me I check around first to see if there's something cheaper that works just as well). Alas no, Skinceuticals are the pioneers on this.

Now here's my plan, rather than shell it out big time, I'm going to customize. I'm going to hit up my favorite cosmetic ingredients sites and the health food store and customize my own serum for a fraction of the price.
I'm gonna do a concentration of 15% L-ascorbic acid (Vitamin C)
5% alpha tocopherol (Vitamin E)
1% Ferulic (you only need a little, which justifies the expense in my mind)
And put it all in a base of phytonadione (Vitamin K) to help with my blotchiness, broken capillaries and dark circles.

Hot darn for customization!

Image courtesy of skinceuticals.com

1 comment:

Unknown said...

First of all, first time visitor to your blog. Really enjoying it so far!

Secondly, I've heard so many great things about the Skinceuticals serum (apart from the smell, of course). I'm curious, how has your customized serum worked out so far?