Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Bosoms, breasts, buzongas and boobies



I'm currently watching a movie on television with my mother. It's about the men who invented implants. I am off course, as a vain female, riveted.

Not that I am considering implants. Lord help me it's the only area I don't need help with (lifting, another matter). I got it from my momma, who got it from hers, who got it from hers. So as a family of women with far above average size, we are morbidly fascinated with WHAT kind of person would pay to do this to themselves.


More...
For some odd reason boobs have been on my mind quite a bit lately. Besides the fact that it's breast cancer month, I read an article about a woman whose family history of cancer was so significant and such a huge risk, that she had a voluntary mastectomy and a set of implants before ever discovering a lump to get this....save herself from the insanity of always worrying.

Things don't often strike my cold blase heart, but after reading that article I cried. I am a lucky creature, no one close to be has ever had breast cancer (amongst Eastern Europeans all cancers are much rarer than in the west anyhow, but it's not like it doesn't happen). Being large, cancer is definitely something I fear because let's face it, the more tissue there is, the more space there is for cancer to spread. Luckily it's not an immediate worry because I have no family history, so the gene is not in me. But every mutation starts from someone. I started to wonder to myself if I would ever do it, maybe down the road.

What do you all think, does anyone have direct ancestors who have had Breast Cancer. Would they ever consider a voluntary mastectomy and then augmentation in order to prevent the cancer happening at all? I would love to know your opinions.

Image courtesy of spikybras.com

No comments: